Friday, April 13, 2007

I'm not Wonder Woman, y'know


That's how an old friend (literally old, hehe) calls me - because, he says, kaya ko ayusin ang mga bagay-bagay, especially when I'm very proud telling him stories of how I did "wonders," even saving males in distress (ehem). And my name spells like that of Wonder Woman star, Lynda Carter (initials, L.C. - same really, hehe), he further points out.

Yes. I sometimes feel like Wonder Woman. Not that I look like the screen goddess Lynda Carter, (she's beautiful! I'm only cute!!!). Why I think I'm Wonder Woman? Because I sometimes can do wonders, made possible through other's help.

But most of the time, I'm just plain, cute Lynda. I don't have the power to save people, to pull things off, or produce miracles. Like those are only contained in the 70s TV series' theme, "make a hawk a dove, stop a war with love, make a liar tell the truth, stop a bullet cold, make the Axis fall, change their minds, and change the world." Only Lynda Carter's character can do those. Not me.

And lately, I feel I can't do, or subconsciously, refuse to do wonders. My power's down. My magic's waning. I don't feel like saving the world in my own little way.

And to borrow from Carter's line in the 2005 movie Sky High, (where she played Principal Powers, th head of superheroes' school), "...I can't do anything more to help you. I'm not Wonder Woman, y'know."

But earlier this Friday the 13th, I felt my power's recharged, my magic's increased, and I was ready to save the world - well, my world, at least, and really glad to those who helped.

Not only I must have that drive to fulfill the task (work-related obviously), but I got happy with myself because the persistence, charm, brilliance that some people associate with me - I felt all those working earlier. I thought I was losing or already lost those qualities (if I really have them) in the past days. But I felt them earlier. They're real.

After friends and Lynda Cute (hehe, braggart) saved the day (well, the task's culmination is up to next days, so, still, wish us luck), my aching feet knew were they're headed - to His house. Settling there, I thanked Him, through his illuminated image displayed to those seeking guidance, help, and protection, like I. Hope I sincerely thanked those who helped me this Friday the 13th.

I'm tired today. But I'm fulfilled. I feel I accomplished a huge task where in fact that was just a small feat. And when small feats are carried out well, they feel like huge jobs well done, even without others commending you for such achievement.

I know the Wonder Woman in me is still here. Maybe she needs some time off, which she will have to avail soonest or else risk early retirement. And for Lynda Cute to still be Wonder Woman in the next busy-busy days, vitamins lang katapat ko.
But for now, as my old friend's parting shot to me, "OK, Wonder Woman, the world's waiting for you."
Post a Comment