Friday, June 28, 2013

DESCOVRIR Stress

I used to say that I thrive in beating the deadlines (being a former journalist). That adrenalin rush was my game and I am on top of it.

But the snail-paced career growth, the burdening financial obligations, the recurring issue concerning my previous relationship --- these are all catching up on me. And at times, I feel I can no longer manage things.

Just this month, I had repeating migraine episodes; upset stomach (anticipating a meeting last Wednesday was an example); very irregular period (like in May, there were only less than 10 days I was period-free); becoming reclusive (I mostly spending my lunch breaks working or just by myself with a book to keep me company); at times, turning down opportunities to go out with friends or invitations to date because I am simply too tired.

The more I worry about my worries, the more I am weighed down by them. I try not to think of them too much, but there were just days and nights I could no longer take them.

If there is any consolation, I am managing to stick to my health and wellness regime: jogging every weekends; trying to eat less in terms of portions (but still could not cut off my caffeine and sweets). Enriching myself through renewing my spirituality and finding inspiration in my love for reading and writing (through blogging) are keeping me sane for now. New friends from various parts of the world are also sending me encouraging words.

But these are not enough to cope with stress, most especially when I am becoming physically weary, as they say, the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak.

Stress warning signs and symptoms. Those highlighted symptoms are what I am experiencing at times. Not good.

It is also not helpful that I blame myself for all these things happening to me now. While I acknowledge my fault, I am not the only one responsible for these things to happen but there is no one truly helping me at the moment.

While I am able to collect myself through my highs like a very good laugh shared with friends or praises for a job well done; but again when I dwell on my lows, I really, really, really feel I am at my lowest.

Thus, while I at times I am wallowing or I am physically in pain, and if I could still manage, I still wake up and go through my daily grind over and over. Acknowledging that there are more who are suffering than what I am going through is a consoling thought. Att times I falter, but I always bounce back, continue to re-frame my perspective to my advantage, and trust that all these shall pass.

Yes, I am stressed now. My worries are playing up on me and I maybe slow or the things I need to happen are simply not happening at the moment, but I am showing my worries and the root causes of them who is the boss. And in this game, I am going to be on top, hopefully, soonest.

Stressed is dessert spelled backwards. If all my worries are like a piece of cake, ha! They are demolished already, gone forever!

Image from http://visual.ly/desserts-stressed-ones


But dessert is a reward, and soonest, I will reap my reward.

Share your stress-busting moves, I love to hear and maybe try them!
Post a Comment