Friday, October 21, 2016

What’s your purpose in life?





Have you ever thought about what is your purpose in life?

Beyond your career, financial, health and wellness, or relationship goal?

Leadership speaker and author John C. Maxwell conducted a free 1-hour webinar on the topic “discovering your purpose” on October 4. And here, he expounded better on why we should live a purposeful life daily.

Here are the lessons I learned from the webinar:

Be intentional

Maxwell said that having a purpose is essential to one’s life. That once we learn to be intentional with our life, and then live our purpose, “we can be an every day purpose person,” (sounds similar to purpose-driven life that Rick Warren espouses).

And how to find our purpose? He said there are two ways:

  1. Through passion – the fuel that keeps us going uphill
  2. Through giftedness – which determines how high uphill we can climb


“If you’re going to find your purpose and live it out, you have to not only ask yourself, ‘What am I passionate about?’ You have to ask yourself, ‘What am I gifted in? What do I do well?’”

And on he went that when we find our purpose, we find our why. And that instead asking “why?” ask “why not?” as this opens a floodgate of opportunities.

And that when we find our why, we find our way.

Be better

Explaining further on discovering our purpose, Maxwell said that everything worthwhile in life is uphill, and that our purpose will give us the reason to go uphill.

And that in the course of finding our purpose, we have to answer three questions:


  1. What do I sing about?
  2. What do I cry about?
  3. What do I dream about?


Maxwell said he sings about unleashing the talent of his team. “The greatest singers are those preparing to give value to others,” he said.

And that giving value to others must be done consistently, as “leadership or influence is being able, day-in, day-out to be consistent in adding value to people.”

As for “crying,” he also underscored the importance of spending our energy on worthwhile things, and that sometimes, it is necessary to unload passengers “as you don’t want everybody on your train.”

And if your dream is only big enough for you, it is not then big enough to include others. “I gotta get better to help you get better,” he said.

And once that we know that our purpose is about intentionally adding value to people, we will begin to:


  1. Think things that average people don’t think
  2. Do things that average people don’t do
  3. Reap results that average people don’t reap

Every day with purpose

That one-hour webinar reinforced my conviction of revisiting the life I am living.

And I have a long way to go to distinguish between achieving my goal versus living a life of purpose.

For such dilemma I have, Maxwell offered his 30-day, self-improvement program (which I am still contemplating whether to avail of or not; mainly because I need to prioritize now which learning I really must spend money on).

But for those interested to dig more about living a life with a purpose, then visit Maxwell’s site.

But for my key takeaway, it is this: I gotta get better to help you get better.
Post a Comment