Friday, October 07, 2016

5 activities I do to keep myself sane

JOURNAL. As in, really journaling, ala Bridget Jones of rambling thoughts here, for things I deemed not for trolls to pry on online. Cut outs from Papemelroti; shoe stickers from Melissa Philippines; ruled notebook from Miquelrius bought from FullyBooked 


Too much time allows unwanted thoughts to creep into me, thus I keep myself busy if I got no work to do (as I am a Communications Consultant now, and I do not work that often, lucky in that respect).

Of course, there were times I sulk or veg out. But when I feel like going out, and just by myself, I usually do the following (including eating out, mostly sweets and cups of coffee):

Watch movies. The season of anticipated blockbusters just hit right when I have time to watch some of these flicks. The latest I watched was Bridget Jones's Baby (not as good as Bridget Jones's Diary but way better than Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason). I somehow can identify with Ms. Jones's character, and the dream of having a Mark Darcy, oh my! Just losing yourself, letting go of your worries in about two hours or so is a welcome respite, especially seeing your heroes and heroines on screen solving their problems --- that, in a way, can give you the drive to continue.

Read books. Super happy I get to read more books these days (as I have a dozen or more unread titles in my bookshelf; on my study table in my room; on this office table I am using now; plus those purchased in the past two months; and the e-books on my Kindle app in my old iPad 2). Reading books is a great escape, and a way to learn more, whether it is fiction or non-fiction. The last I read was a self-help one, Teach Yourself Body Language --- I have become pretty good in deciphering body language, and I am also conscious of the body language I am showing, but still not bad to know more, especially dealing with high-powered people, thus this slim tome. My favorite reads lately, and have affected me in a great way were Kafka on the Shore by Haruki Murakami (too depressing, too dark, some points hit close to home) and Bossypants by Tina Fey (which I finished in about eight hours, and it was funny and inspiring, a no-bull shit leadership reading for women). There were some titles I started reading, but have not continued yet. Eventually, I will finish reading them all.

Update my daily, weekly planners. I was neglecting my planners (using Starbucks + Moleskine green weekly and red daily planners). When I was so busy at work, I was barely using these. Now, they are pretty filled with my to do's and (checked them once done), appointments, dates, etc., and I am mastering the bullet journaling method with these. Not sure though if I would get a Starbucks planner this year (I got mine because it was an office exchange gift, and one was a gift from Starbucks Philippines itself).

Start a journal (pictured above). Yes, as in journaling hard core. Running three to four pages for a single rant or musing. That kind of longhand writing. I pimped up mine (see the crafty cut outs and shoe stickers) then started writing (with my trusty Cartier heart-shaped charm pink lacq ballpen). I always carry my Miquelrius journal with me (even if it is thick) and as long as I get settled in a coffee shop usually, I open it and start journaling.  I get frustrated though every time I misspelled a word or my handwriting is so loopy (I am not blessed with a very good penmanship, the joke is those who would try to steal my interview notebook would have a hard time deciphering what I wrote because my writing looks like hieroglyphics!) And I came across the "ritual" called morning pages, "three pages of longhand, stream of consciousness writing, done first thing in the morning." It is almost what I am doing, except I write when I feel like it (and lately four times a day max). And I am not exactly a morning person so this will be challenging, but I will try and let you know.

LIKE A KID. I draw to my hear's content in this "art" journal --- never mind if I suck at drawing! 

Get into drawing; adult coloring books. Not blessed also with a talent in drawing (my youngest brother is very good at it), but what the hell, I sure can do a damn good job in coloring drawings! I now have this separate art journal (got the idea from Samantha Dion Baker's Instagram account), and draw there (using Artline 0.6 drawing pen and Faber-Castell color pencils) whenever I feel like it, mostly my aspirations, my "visions" of blessings I like to attract and achieve (see above). I also returned to my adult coloring books again (one is a book on desserts, the other Art Nouveau fashion --- the latter too elaborate and difficult to color!) But one must finish what she has started, right? Right.

= = = = =

So there. My "alone time" activities that keep my mind going and the creative juices flowing.

So if you feel like stuck in a rut, pick an activity (a healthy, positive one, please) to do, and complete it. It will allow you to refocus, to rebalance your energies, and take your mind off unnecessary worries.

So, what keeps you sane these days?
Post a Comment